If you’ve either created a new website, or you don’t want your site hosted on your current server, this post will help explain how to move a website from one server to another.
One of the easiest ways to move a website from server to server is using the plugin Duplicator. (Yay! More plugins!)
We’re going to be using a WordPress site as our example, so if you aren’t using a WordPress site… uh… sorry.
How to Move A Website From One Server to Another Using Duplicator
- After installing and activating Duplicator, it will appear in the sidebar on the left of the screen.
- Hover over it and then click on Packages.
- Look for the button that says “ Create New” on the right side of the screen.
- On the next screen you’ll name the package whatever you want, then click next.
- Once that’s done, the plugin will scan your site and let you know if there are any issues.
- Even if there are issues, you can still have it build the package. This may take several minutes so don’t worry!
- Once that’s completed, you’ll need to download the Installer and the Archive separately to get them moved over to the new server.
- Next you’ll move the files using your FTP or cPanel.
- Upload the files in an empty directory (this generally will be something like public_html/yourdomain).
- When done, type into your URL bar http://your-domain/your-wp-directory/installer.php and follow the prompts.
- Click the net button, enter your database info, test your connection, and click next again.
- Now your website should be up and running. You just need to uninstall the installer.php.
You’ve successfully moved your WordPress website from server to server, congrats!