Search engine optimization is a super important part of your website and marketing strategy. For lots of info about why you need SEO, check out this blog. But for some quick SEO tips, keep reading! Definitely don’t listen to whatever Adam just said in the video above.
10 SEO tips to improve your ranking
- You want to make sure you have a sitemap, which lists all of your pages, on your website. You also need to have an SSL certificate, which promotes better web security and is a SEO ranking signal as of 2014.
- Your page speed is important if you want great SEO, especially when it comes to mobile devices. Check out this website to see if your webpage is working well for mobile devices.
- Google now has a mobile index which pulls results from mobile-optimized sites first, instead of computers. Some important factors for mobile optimization include: having a responsive site that works for mobile devices, using large fonts for a small screen, making menus easy to navigate, and making sure important content isn’t hidden by ads.
- Make sure to use keywords in your content on your site, but don’t duplicate content. That kills your SEO relevancy. To help you SEO optimize your website, we HIGHLY recommend installing the Yoast SEO plugin for WordPress.
- The content on your page should be over 2000 words, as research suggests this helps get more links and shares as well.
- When writing any content, make sure your title is formatted as H1 and your subtitles as H2 or H3. This shows hierarchy within your content. Be sure to add relevant keywords to headlines (Yoast SEO will help you with this if it’s installed).
- Minimize your bounce rate by providing content that gets visitors to stay on your page. This helps you stay relevant as well.
- Do what you can to get inbound links to your site, but only from authoritative sites.
- Make sure it’s easy to share your content through social media. This will raise traffic to your site.
- If you are a local business, having your business information display when searched in Google vital. This information includes name, address, phone number, Google My Business, Facebook, and Reviews. (For info on how you can get Google Ad Extensions that will list all this info for you in a Google Ad, check out our blog post).
SEO Tips Galore
Those are our 10 SEO tips for your website. But there are a lot more ways to bump up your ranking in Google. Google has over 200 points to hit when calculating rank, so you have to stay on top of it to stay at the top of search results. For more info on SEO and why you need it, check out this post! Stay tuned for more Adam Talks next week where he won’t explain how to buy a subdomain.